[imp] Swap & Large Attachments

Vern-N vern@cs.unt.edu
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:42:32 -0500

IMP 3.1, Horde 2.1, UW IMAP 2002.RC3

So you attach a large file, then you wait.... then you send and it
dissapears, and your attachment doesn't go through...

So I was watching memory use in top while troubleshooting attachments.

Sending a 100MB file, I watched apache-ssl use up nearly 400MB peak...
Then much to my surprise, I watched imapd use up 265MB peak... (after
sending)

The attachments were dying due to lack of swapspace, however the whole
process of waiting it out was excruciating over 10Mb/s LAN.

Perhaps there is some way to alter the system so that it can stream
attachments to files on disk rather than page them out into system
memory....  It seems like it would save a few blowouts...

After I watched top report that it had executed my webserver for
exhausting memory, I learned about swapfiles...

dd if=/dev/zer0 of=/swapfile block=1024 count=1048576
mkswap /swapfile 1048576
swapon /swapfile

Should get ya a 1Gb swapfile going....

-Cheers,
-Vern

PS- PII 300Mhz, 256Mb ram, 1 transfer kicked load average up to 1.7
from
0.02, debian