[imp] Question with regard to apache and php for IMP

Nigel Cass N.Cass@Hull.ac.uk
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:14:26 +0100

Hi Everyone.

I have just taken delivery of two servers which I intend to begin
installing as the backbone of our initial webmail service.

I do have a large number of questions about options I could take during
the installation which I may end up putting to some of you guys who are
already running production webmail services.

But initially I would like some advice on the integration of php and
apache.

On my pilot system I compiled php as a Dynamic Shared Object for apache
and despite a lot of reading I never did find any documentation that
indicated whether or not this approach was the best for a service such
as webmail.

I realise it is probably an open-ended question but I would be extremely
grateful to hear opinions from those of you who are running IMP in
production as to whether static or dynamic is best and why?

The main benefit that I can see is how much easier it is to upgrade php
when new versions come available - but obviously in a production
environment I am somewhat more interested in performance.

TYIA

Nigel Cass
Systems Engineer
University of Hull