[imp] Question about gettext with solaris

Mariusz Zynel mariusz@math.uwb.edu.pl
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 14:34:25 +0200

Nigel Cass wrote:
> Hi Guys.
> I'm just about to do a fresh install of a Sun Fire server (Solaris 8)
> and I was hoping that someone who has managed to get the
> internationalisation working under IMP on a solaris platform can offer
> some advice.
>
> On my pilot system I attempted to compile php with gnu gettext rather
> than the sun version (probably a mistake?) and no matter what I tried I
> couldn't seem to get the thing to work. I did a lot of research through
> past articles in the archives but I never actually saw a full solution
> for how to definitely get gettext working on a solaris platform with
> IMP.

I've managed to get it working with GNU gettext. The problem is that
httpd links to wrong libintl.so. You can change it with LD_PRELOAD
env variable. httpd must be linked with -R flag pointing to GNU
libintl.so. Othwerwise it won't work.

This is the line form my /etc/init.d/apache script

status=`LD_PRELOAD=libintl.so ${BASEDIR}/sbin/apachectl $1 2>&1`

Both PHP and Apache are build with GNU gettext and libiconv.

Hope this helps

--
         .
Mariusz Zynel         University of Bialystok, Institute of Mathematics