[imp] PHP error

liamr@umich.edu liamr@umich.edu
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:33:25 -0400

> Security Alert! The PHP CGI cannot be accessed directly.
> This PHP CGI binary was compiled with force-cgi-redirect enabled.
> This means that a page will only be served up if the
> REDIRECT_STATUS CGI variable is set, e.g. via an Apache Action
> directive.
>
> Obviusly I have to set "something" in my PHP.ini, where it says:

Actually, you need to change your webserver configuration.  The
security section of the PHP manual discusses this issue:

    http://www.php.net/manual/en/security.cgi-bin.php

Specifically, "Case 2: using --enable-force-cgi-redirect".  They give
information on how to configure apache to handle this properly.  If
you're not using apache, you'll need to consult the docs for your
webserver.

If you can at all, I'd recommend using the server module version of
PHP rather than the CGI.  While the CGI works, it's much slower in
comparison, which will become very noticible in installations with
large user bases.

Liam