[imp] Bug with angled quotes + attachments.

Ryan Gallagher ryan@studiesabroad.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:00:56 -0500

Quoting Amith Varghese <amith@xalan.com>:

> I definitely agree with you... it would be nice to get this working in IE.
> However in one of my previous posts (see archives for July/August) I too was
> curious why this was failing.  What I ended up doing was use a packet sniffer
> look at what IE was sending IMP (because it made no sense why it was
> failing).
> It turned out that IE was sending crap to the server.  So PHP/IMP couldn't
> do
> anything intelligent about it.  The problem that you and your users are
> experiencing could be different, but if it was the same problem that I saw
> I'm
> not sure if there really is a fix.
>
> Amith
>

> > ----- Message from ryan@studiesabroad.com ---------
> >     Date: Mon,  9 Sep 2002 16:44:44 -0500
> >     From: Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>
> >  Subject: Re: [imp] Bug with angled quotes + attachments.
> >       To: imp@lists.horde.org
> >
> > Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:

> > > there

> > sig

> present.
> > > >

> > > Here's the quotes i'm talking about:
> > > “foo”
> >
> > Also ANGLED APOSTROPHE e.g. ’ causes the same behavior.
> >
> > I'm sure there are other such characters too, i've heard rumors of certain
> > dashes also.
> >
> > Again, this is only in IE and only when an attachment is also involved.

The part I can't figure is that it only fails when an attachment is involved.
Meaning something goes wrong when IMP reloads the email before the user submits
the send.

Those special characters pass through fine otherwise.  This is the main reason
why looking to IMP for a fix seems logical.  If it just failed period i'd be
more comfortable blaming IE completely.

--Ryan

--
Ryan T. Gallagher