[imp] Re: Re: Folders unable to be deleted

Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:18:49 -0500

> Quoting David Stine <dstine@ycp.edu>:
>
> > Well, It doesn't yet support groups in the addressbook.  Some of the
> > features that are lacking include being able to type of the person's name
> > you are sending to and the client fill out the rest of the name.  This
> > will never be possible with a webmail client.  And some people are spoiled
> > with that feature.
>
> Maybe you should take a look at HEAD ...

Very limited group support was in the release version.  You could enter
multiple addresses with commas, and it worked.  It had three problems:
inconsistent display of the groups; length limit was small by default on
the field so you couldn't add to long of a group; wasn't really supported.
CVS HEAD has a much better implementation.

Autocompletion of the name is *possible* in a web mail system, just not
efficient and hard to do if you don't want to limit the number of browsers
that support it.  So instead we use other tricks (the tab expansion in
IMP 2.x, the iframe expansion in IMP CVS HEAD, the new accesskey code that
is being experimented with in IMP/HORDE CVS HEAD, etc).  These are not
quite the same as what the system-depenent GUI's do, but they are
efficient enough to be reasonable over a web interface and don't require
much user effort (hitting a single key, hitting a key combination, or
submiting the form).

This is not to say your points aren't, for the most part, valid. It is
just to clarify some points, and to let you know that things are being
considered to address such issues.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage