[imp] Question regarding Apache (php) segfault

sf speedfreak50@netscape.net
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:19:40 -0400

Hello List,

I've been fighting the Apache segfaults while running Horde/IMP/Turba
(2.1/3.1/1.1).  These segfaults appear to be completely random and
related to the pcre code in PHP.  I've scanned this list and saw a
recommendation to change date('r') to the equivalent strftime to work
around a possible bug in PHP.  I've made that change and the
segfaults still occur.

Under Netscape and Mozilla (and Konqueror as far as i can tell) the
segfaults aren't noticeable by the user - they only show up in the
Apache error_log.  Under IE the segfault results in a "Page Cannot be
Displayed" (or something like that).

There's a bug posted at:

   http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=19482

that relates to this exact problem but doesn't yet have a fix
available.  I'm not sure if it will make a difference because the php
guys seem really good with fixing bugs but it may be worthwhile to
put in a "vote" for this bug if you're experiencing it.

At this point i'm curious if anybody who's *not* experiencing this
problem (and preferrably running some version of Linux) can post their software versions to this list.

My latest test was with the following software running on Red Hat 7.3:
php-4.2.3 (compiled from source)
apache-1.3.26 (compiled from source)
mm-1.1.3-4 (Red Hat RPM)
mod_ssl-2.8.10 (compiled from source)
openssl-0.96b (Red Hat RPM with OpenSSL fixes)

Apache/PHP/Mod_SSL was compiled with and without "mm" support and the
segfaults still occured.

These segfaults also appeared with the stock Red Hat RPMs (hence the
reason for the compiled sources).

If i compile PHP with --enable-debug the segfaults disappear.
What is the impact of running PHP with --enable-debug - is it a major
performance hit?

If anybody can provide any sort of workaround i'd very much appreciate
it.

   -sf