[imp] IMP, PGP, and keyservers

Jeff Tucker jefft@wciatl.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:37:03 -0400

Hello,

Does the current CVS of IMP-HEAD work with PGP keyservers?

I emailed myself a signed message from another application. IMP says that
the signature is BAD. Using tcpdump, I can see that it is connecting to the
keyserver and appears to be requesting the correct key as the Keyid in the
URL is correct. IMP does not say that the key wasn't found. It says that
the signature is bad. I've tried using www.keyserver.net as well as
wwwkeys.pgp.net.

If I connect to that same keyserver myself, get the key, and add it to my
keyring the same message will verify as GOOD.

Second, it appears that IMP does not attempt at all to connect to a
keyserver if it opens a PGP signed message with inline PGP (not MIME) and
the option to scan message bodies for PGP info is turned on. In this case,
IMP tells me that no key was found. Tcpdump shows that IMP never tried to
connect to the keyserver.

Thanks
Jeff

--