[imp] IMP, PGP, and keyservers

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:19:05 -0400

Quoting Jeff Tucker <jefft@wciatl.com>:

> Does the current CVS of IMP-HEAD work with PGP keyservers?

Sometimes; I have had some problems with it timing out.

> I emailed myself a signed message from another application. IMP says that
> the signature is BAD. Using tcpdump, I can see that it is connecting to
> the keyserver and appears to be requesting the correct key as the Keyid in
> the URL is correct. IMP does not say that the key wasn't found. It says
> that the signature is bad. I've tried using www.keyserver.net as well as
> wwwkeys.pgp.net.

The PGP code is relatively new; I don't have time to poke at it myself right
now, and the original author has been pretty busy the last few weeks, but if
you do have time to look into it, I'll gladly look at patches. I'll
eventually try and get to it myself, but it's a mighty long list.

> Second, it appears that IMP does not attempt at all to connect to a
> keyserver if it opens a PGP signed message with inline PGP (not MIME) and
> the option to scan message bodies for PGP info is turned on. In this
> case, IMP tells me that no key was found. Tcpdump shows that IMP never
> tried to connect to the keyserver.

This sounds like a simple omission - maybe you could put together a patch?

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"People ask me all the time what it will be like living without otters."