[imp] frames patch

Ryan Gallagher ryan@studiesabroad.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 18:01:19 -0600

> Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:
>
> > I would 3rd it, based purely on the fact that we simply cannot get our
> > Outlook-office-drones to accept web-based email without a folder view
> > being part of the main workspace.
> >
> > We will be using the patch and maintaining diffs if we have to, but
> we'd
> > much rather see it supported along with the releases.
>
> I had two main problems with it. One is that it's a pretty significant
> change in the way the UI works, and could make writing a user guide a
> significant headache - and very confusing for users. The other is that
> the
> code becomes _really_ ugly, since you're checking a preference all over
> the
> place. And a lot of the behavior was inconsistent and things loaded in
> funny
> places, etc. - problems which will only crop up again and again as
> functionality changes, because of the constant if () checks.
>
> If someone submitted a patch to generate the folder tree on the left
> _without_ using frames, I might be much more inclined to look at it.

I don't know, we've found that our users are MORE confused by a LACK of a
folders frame.  Practically every other non web based mail client uses that
UI design and it is a very familiar one to them.

I'd also like to note that the 'patch' when we first tried it appeared to be
very _incomplete_ and we did alot of _fixing_ before it started to produce
reliable behavior.  We have only messed with it in a devel implementation,
we haven't unleashed it on our users yet.  Most of the issues fixed were
simply targeting issues.

alas...
Ryan

--