[imp] frames patch

eculp@encontacto.net eculp@encontacto.net
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:37:28 -0700

Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:

 | Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>:
 |
 | > Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:
 | >
 | > > I would 3rd it, based purely on the fact that we simply cannot get our
 | > > Outlook-office-drones to accept web-based email without a folder view
 | > > being part of the main workspace.
 | > >
 | > > We will be using the patch and maintaining diffs if we have to, but
 | > we'd
 | > > much rather see it supported along with the releases.
 | >
 | > I had two main problems with it. One is that it's a pretty significant
 | > change in the way the UI works, and could make writing a user guide a
 | > significant headache - and very confusing for users. The other is that
 | > the
 | > code becomes _really_ ugly, since you're checking a preference all over
 | > the
 | > place. And a lot of the behavior was inconsistent and things loaded in
 | > funny
 | > places, etc. - problems which will only crop up again and again as
 | > functionality changes, because of the constant if () checks.
 | >
 | > If someone submitted a patch to generate the folder tree on the left
 | > _without_ using frames, I might be much more inclined to look at it.
 |
 | I don't know, we've found that our users are MORE confused by a LACK of a
 | folders frame.  Practically every other non web based mail client uses that
 | UI design and it is a very familiar one to them.
 |
 | I'd also like to note that the 'patch' when we first tried it appeared to be
 | very _incomplete_ and we did alot of _fixing_ before it started to produce
 | reliable behavior.  We have only messed with it in a devel implementation,
 | we haven't unleashed it on our users yet.  Most of the issues fixed were
 | simply targeting issues.

Ryan,

Would an iframe in an extra <td> somwhere in templates/mailbox with
the src being imp/folders.php work?  I've been tempted to try it but
haven't because afaik it isn't compatible with older browsers.  I think
it is ie 5.5 and netscape 6 or higher.  I've used it a few times for
quick fixes to other problems.

ed