[imp] frames patch

Ryan Gallagher ryan@studiesabroad.com
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:45:13 -0600

Quoting eculp@encontacto.net:

> Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:
>
>  | Quoting eculp@encontacto.net:
>
>  | > Would an iframe in an extra <td> somwhere in templates/mailbox with
>  | > the src being imp/folders.php work?  I've been tempted to try it but
>  | > haven't because afaik it isn't compatible with older browsers.  I think
>  | > it is ie 5.5 and netscape 6 or higher.  I've used it a few times for
>  | > quick fixes to other problems.
>  | iframes or layers might be an interesting 'alternate' approach or maybe
> yet
>  | another patch option.  However I think due to the lack of browser support
>  | for these features they probably would get ruled out as being acceptable
> for
>  | a default(ish) behavior.
>  | Personally we will be dealing with many students at university labs
> (varying
>  | universities) and don't think that we can rely on the browser being fully
> up
>  | to date and supporting them.
>
> It could be configurable.  I have no idea on browser statistics today.  But
> my gut feeling is that most of the webmail folks are using newer versions
> but
> I could be wrong.
>
> ed

As you are thinking, probably true for users who "voluntarily" opt for a web
mail solution.  But as where I work, we intend to give a web portal (email
included) to every student who goes on one of our packages.  Many of whom may
not own a computer and simply use verious public facilities for loggin in.  But
considering there are only 3 techies, we do not want to be overwhelmed with
support requests due to browser in-compatibilities. ;)  But that's just me.

But anyway, my vote on frames/folders etc etc would be that everyone who has a
good idea hack away, make your patches available, and if the horde team likes
one i'm sure it will find it's way into the official releases.

--Ryan