[imp] frames patch

Alain Williams addw@phcomp.co.uk
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:20:23 +0100

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 12:15:48PM -0700, eculp@encontacto.net wrote:
> Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:
>
>  | Quoting eculp@encontacto.net:
>
>  | > Would an iframe in an extra <td> somwhere in templates/mailbox with
>  | > the src being imp/folders.php work?  I've been tempted to try it but
>  | > haven't because afaik it isn't compatible with older browsers.  I think
>  | > it is ie 5.5 and netscape 6 or higher.  I've used it a few times for
>  | > quick fixes to other problems.
>  | iframes or layers might be an interesting 'alternate' approach or maybe yet
>  | another patch option.  However I think due to the lack of browser support
>  | for these features they probably would get ruled out as being acceptable for
>  | a default(ish) behavior.
>  | Personally we will be dealing with many students at university labs (varying
>  | universities) and don't think that we can rely on the browser being fully up
>  | to date and supporting them.
>
> It could be configurable.  I have no idea on browser statistics today.  But
> my gut feeling is that most of the webmail folks are using newer versions but
> I could be wrong.

Well, if it doesn't work for you, you configure it out. Where is the problem in that ?
If the default is 'off', people only switch it on if they want to.

It is evident that some people like it, so the frames patch, or something equivalent
would ``make for a better user experience''[**] for some people. An alternative is
rather than chopping the screen up with frames, to pop up new windows instead
(personally that would drive me wild, but I suspect that some people might like it).

[**] No, I am not a marketing droid -- honest!

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>