[imp] Importing Contacts from Outlook 2000 to Imp

eculp@encontacto.net eculp@encontacto.net
Wed Oct 23 00:58:56 2002

Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan@orst.edu>:

 | On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Mark Tilden wrote:
 |
 | > Fellow IMP'ers:
 | >
 | > I've tried on two different installations of Imp and several different
 | > installations of Outlook 2000 to use the IMP functionality to import
 | address
 | > books from a .PST file. I've tried both importing directly from Outlook's
 | > main file (outlook.pst) and from a separately exported contacts file. Both
 | > failed, either by simply returning a "page can't be displayed" error or by
 | > providing a list of fields to match with only garbage in the outlooks side
 | > of the field match.
 | >
 | > Has anybody been able to make this work? Any secrets? I have several users
 | > with large address books that don't want to re-type them to use IMP.
 | >
 | > Thanks!
 | > Mark
 |
 | I'm assuming you are using IMP 3.1 and Turba 1.1...
 |
 | The import address book function in Turba 1.1 is expecting a CSV file as
 | the input, even when you choose Outlook at the import format.  It doesn't
 | read .PST files.  It is just as easy to export a CSV file of your Outlook
 | address book as it is to export a PST file.

I just did it with the head version of turba but I had to remove pear
File::CSV to use the builtin php function, fgetcsv(). You might want
to give it a try with your CSV export.  Jan gave me the idea.

ed