[imp] serious mysql or imap problems on a imp server

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Wed Oct 23 10:16:46 2002

Zitat von Jens Madsen <chuck@jcm.no-ip.org>:

> 1)  sometimes mysqld is running like crazy and gets up to 3-500 threads
> up and running witch most of them should me killed or is just taking up
> memory. Why? is there a bug in imp that does not close a used
> connection?? Someone is looking into the configuration of mySQL as a
> problem.
> but any help is wanted.

PEAR::DB that we use for all sql backends opens persistant connections to
the mysql server by default. Thus you'll end up with a mysql thread for
every httpd thread. You can disable persistant connections by adding a
'persistant' => false
entry to all your sql configuration arrays.

> 2) in many cases on a busy day the linux server is also having big
> problem just connecting and getting mail over IMAP protocol.  Is this to
> do with many users having lot of mail?

It might. We have to open and close an imap connection on every page request
because there are no persistant imap connection possible yet. You should
take a look at our imapproxy module that fits this hole.

Jan.