[imp] serious mysql or imap problems on a imp server

Mathieu Legare legare@uqtr.ca
Wed Oct 23 13:36:16 2002

Hi,

At Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 12:20:19AM +0200, Jens Madsen wrote:

> Problem:
>
> now there are two major problems;
> 1)  sometimes mysqld is running like crazy and gets up to 3-500 threads up and
> running witch most of them should me killed or is just taking up memory. Why?
> is there a bug in imp that does not close a used connection?? Someone is looking
> into the configuration of mySQL as a problem.
> but any help is wanted.

We added 'persistent' => false to all our database configuration (horde, turba, ...)
It seems better, but we still had some overload problem. It may seems weird the following
because persistent connections are supposed to be desactivated, but we also added
'mysql.max_persistent = 40' in php.ini and we haven't see overload since. Also, try
to tweak a little bit with your Apache setting (MinSpareServer, MaxSpareServer, MaxClient, ...),
it may help a lot to have the right settings for your environment.

We are having MySQL and courier-imap on an AIX server and Apache/PHP/IMP on a Linux server.

> 2) in many cases on a busy day the linux server is also having big problem just
> connecting and getting mail over IMAP protocol.  Is this to do with many users having lot of mail?

It may be related to your previous question

bye and have a nice day,
--
Mathieu Legare, analyste en informatique (reseau/systeme/webmestre)
Service de soutien pedagogique et technologique