[imp] Request for help: virtual domains, overlapping prefs, shared folder problems, ...

eculp at encontacto.net eculp@encontacto.net
Sat Nov 2 16:59:40 PST 2002

Quoting "tobias@kabissa.org" <tobias@kabissa.org>:

 | Hi all,
 |
 | I've been having some problems installing IMP 3.1 and would appreciate some
 | help from others who've already been down this path. I've checked all the
 | FAQs
 | and scoured the net with Google.
 |
 | I'm running IMP 3.1 on a Redhat 7.1 server with PLESK 2.5
 | (http://www.plesk.com) installed. I had some problems with open_basedir
 | restrictions but I have since gotten around those. Issues I've been unable
 | resolve are:
 |
 | 1) I'm running IMP 3.1 with many virtual domains on the same server, and am
 | looking for a neat solution that will allow people to log in and immediately
 | begin sending emails with correctly formed 'from' lines. Right now I've
 | solved
 | this using a simple 'from' custom hook using the server name - but this
 | relies
 | on the person specifying the correct domain name on the server line when
 | they
 | log in. I was thinking it would be nice to have people log in with their
 | email
 | address - ie. username@domain1.org and not allow them to change the server
 | name. Then have IMP strip off the @domain1.org when logging in but keep it
 | for
 | the 'from' line of their default identity when sending messages.

I use virtualhosts in courier, which necessitates logging in with a full
email address but it is facilitated by using a vinfo hook (see example in
horde/config/hooks.php).  I also assign the server based on
$_server['HTTP_HOST'] in horde/imp/servers.php.  The end result is:
if I use http://mail.encontacto.net the server is the encontacto.net mail
server.  I login with eculp and the vinfo adds "@encontacto.net" transparently.
My default identity is eculp@encontacto.net.  That seems to be what you are
looking for, if I read the above right.

 | 2) A possibly related issue we have is that while usernames overlap over
 | domains on our server, IMP 3.1 shares preferences and addressbook for
 | usernames
 | that overlap. This means that user1@domain1.com and user1@domain2.com share
 | preferences and addressbook. We're using the default mysql
 | preferences/addressbook tables that come with Horde/IMP. Could the fix for
 | my
 | first problem also fix this problem?

I'm using ldap for my backend and basically it does for me but you need
someone with mysql to confirm.

 | 3) There appears to be a bug with accessing courier imap shared folders in
 | IMP
 | 3.1. Basically they work as normal except when trying to open some shared
 | folders or move or copy a message into them - apparently this problem
 | involves
 | shared folders that contain subfolders. I've been able to move and copy
 | messages into such folders using another IMAP client (mulberry) and with IMP
 | 2.2.. not so with IMP 3.1. The folders that don't work are displayed with a
 | period at the end of the name, and the popup message you get when trying to
 | move/copy a message is "you must select a target mailbox"

I can't help here either.  I've never used shared folders.  Sorry.

 | 4) And a turba question: An ugly error message is displayed when trying to
 | import a large CSV file. Any way to clean up this message?

YMMV, but I had to disable/erase pear File_CSV to import outlook addressbooks
and it worked fine using the php builtin.  FWIW, I can't import addressbooks
exported from turba, cleanly.  There seems to be an issue with the quotation
marks and I haven't really looked at it in depth.

 | 5) While I'm on Turba: I'd be interested in installing a shared addressbook
 | that can be modified by one/some users, as well as shared addressbooks for
 | groups of users to work with freely - has anyone done this already?

It works fine for me but again in ldap.  I'm sure it works in mysql, too.

I hope this helps some.

ed