[imp] Request for help: virtual domains, overlapping prefs, shared folder problems, ...

tobias at kabissa.org tobias@kabissa.org
Sat Nov 2 17:59:06 PST 2002

Hi Ed,

Quoting eculp@encontacto.net:

> Quoting "tobias@kabissa.org" <tobias@kabissa.org>:
>
>  | Hi all,
>  | I've been having some problems installing IMP 3.1 and would appreciate
> some
>  | help from others who've already been down this path. I've checked all the
>  | FAQs
>  | and scoured the net with Google.
>  | I'm running IMP 3.1 on a Redhat 7.1 server with PLESK 2.5
>  | (http://www.plesk.com) installed. I had some problems with open_basedir
>  | restrictions but I have since gotten around those. Issues I've been
> unable
>  | resolve are:
>  | 1) I'm running IMP 3.1 with many virtual domains on the same server, and
> am
>  | looking for a neat solution that will allow people to log in and
> immediately
>  | begin sending emails with correctly formed 'from' lines. Right now I've
>  | solved
>  | this using a simple 'from' custom hook using the server name - but this
>  | relies
>  | on the person specifying the correct domain name on the server line when
>  | they
>  | log in. I was thinking it would be nice to have people log in with their
>  | email
>  | address - ie. username@domain1.org and not allow them to change the
> server
>  | name. Then have IMP strip off the @domain1.org when logging in but keep
> it
>  | for
>  | the 'from' line of their default identity when sending messages.
>
> I use virtualhosts in courier, which necessitates logging in with a full
> email address but it is facilitated by using a vinfo hook (see example in
> horde/config/hooks.php).  I also assign the server based on
> $_server['HTTP_HOST'] in horde/imp/servers.php.  The end result is:
> if I use http://mail.encontacto.net the server is the encontacto.net mail
> server.  I login with eculp and the vinfo adds "@encontacto.net"
> transparently.
> My default identity is eculp@encontacto.net.  That seems to be what you are
> looking for, if I read the above right.

This is pretty close to what I need, but not quite perfect. My users come
through http://www.kabissa.org to access webmail, where they access a link to a
secure login form at http://webmail.kabissa.org. The other 500 or so domains on
the server don't have a webmail subdomain setup.

Someone may have a better idea, but it seems to me that I need a solution that
does what I described above - have users type in their email address, ie
user@domain1.com and have IMP strip off the @domain1.com part for logging in
but using the whole email address for the default identity. Has anybody done
this before?

>  | 2) A possibly related issue we have is that while usernames overlap over
>  | domains on our server, IMP 3.1 shares preferences and addressbook for
>  | usernames
>  | that overlap. This means that user1@domain1.com and user1@domain2.com
> share
>  | preferences and addressbook. We're using the default mysql
>  | preferences/addressbook tables that come with Horde/IMP. Could the fix
> for
>  | my
>  | first problem also fix this problem?
>
> I'm using ldap for my backend and basically it does for me but you need
> someone with mysql to confirm.

OK

>  | 3) There appears to be a bug with accessing courier imap shared folders
> in
>  | IMP
>  | 3.1. Basically they work as normal except when trying to open some shared
>  | folders or move or copy a message into them - apparently this problem
>  | involves
>  | shared folders that contain subfolders. I've been able to move and copy
>  | messages into such folders using another IMAP client (mulberry) and with
> IMP
>  | 2.2.. not so with IMP 3.1. The folders that don't work are displayed with
>  | period at the end of the name, and the popup message you get when trying
>  | move/copy a message is "you must select a target mailbox"
>
> I can't help here either.  I've never used shared folders.  Sorry.

OK - would be grateful if someone else has ideas. I think it's a bug.

Shared folders are really neat, by the way, and I'm surprised they aren't used
more widely. I'm thinking of providing mailing list archives through shared
folders that are then searchable and browsable via IMP. Neat.

>  | 4) And a turba question: An ugly error message is displayed when trying
>  | import a large CSV file. Any way to clean up this message?
>
> YMMV, but I had to disable/erase pear File_CSV to import outlook
> addressbooks
> and it worked fine using the php builtin.  FWIW, I can't import addressbooks
> exported from turba, cleanly.  There seems to be an issue with the quotation
> marks and I haven't really looked at it in depth.

I know this is probably a discussion for the turba list - but anyway.. my
experience was with importing a regular CSV file that had been created using
Outlook. This isn't my biggest priority either but it would be good to get it
working smoothly.

>  | 5) While I'm on Turba: I'd be interested in installing a shared
> addressbook
>  | that can be modified by one/some users, as well as shared addressbooks
> for
>  | groups of users to work with freely - has anyone done this already?
>
> It works fine for me but again in ldap.  I'm sure it works in mysql, too.

OK - interesting. Would you be willing to give me some pointers to set this up?
We can discuss off list if you like.

Many thanks for your advice - it helps alot to talk these issues through. :-)

Cheers,

Tobias