[imp] PATCH: compose.php delocalization

Steve Stavropoulos steve@math.upatras.gr
Mon Nov 11 11:26:52 2002

On Monday, 11 November 2002, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Quoting Steve Stavropoulos <steve@math.upatras.gr>:
>
> > A similar change was
> > done to imp-3.1. The "Re:" in 3.0 was localized, but in 3.1 isn't.
>
> This is true.  However, it is needed to support threading.  And I think
> there actually is some standards for this dealing with threading.

 Threading is done based on the headers of an email. The "Re:" is just an
informal standard.

> > Besides the "Fwd:" delocalization, I delocalized the messages that get
> > put when you forward a mail. For example the "Mail Forwarded from <>"
> > and the other info about the forwarded mail. I think that these messages
> > have nothing to do with the language the user has chosen for imp
> > interface.
>
> I disagree.  You're looking at this from the point of view of a
> heterogeneous email environment.  For such, your method *might* be reasonable.

 I envy you if you have such a nice homogenous email enviroment. I haven't.

>  But while Horde can be used in such an environment, it can also be used in a
> homogeneous environement.

 I think most enviroments are heterogenous, so the default should be in favor of
them. Obviously you dissagree...

> You've given no compelling reason for your changes.

 Better intergation of small groups of people in a large multilingual world.

> >  I think at least there should be a config option and a preference
> > setting for that.
>
> I won't argue against that, but I'm also not willing (as I have no
> compelling
> interest in it) to spend the time on coding it.  Maybe one of the
> developers
> might feel differenet (I doubt it, but you never know).  Maybe you should
> as if a new patch, making it a configuration or preference, would be
> accepted,
> and if so, code up such as patch.  That assumes you feel strongly about it.

 I feel pretty strong about that and I 'll do the patch. But not in the next
days, this will have to wait...
 I think there should be a configuration item for what the default should be and
a user preference for the user to alter the default.