[imp] "Mail Preview" patch

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Thu Nov 14 21:35:48 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 05:58:16PM +0100, Jan Schneider wrote:

> > Is the expected behavior such that the preview is only shown once.  On my
> > install, if the refresh button is clicked, the user logs in a out, or
> > switches
> > from another application(such as addressbook) to IMP--the previously
> > "preview"
> > messages are marked as seen and not previewed again.
> > Nate
>
> This is the expected behavior if you set in your option to only show
> previews for unread messages. To create the preview we have to read the
> message so that the imap server marks it as read. The next time you visit
> this mailbox or after a reload all previewed message are marked as being
> read. At least that's my understanding of what's happening.

I'm not sure that's the best behavior.  It would be nice if the
message remained "unread" and the preview persisted until the user
actually decided to read it in the traditional manner.

Perhaps, when this feature is enabled, message previews could be read
once and "remembered" in the session state until the message is read.
This would prevent re-fetching the message content every time the
preview had to be displayed.

--
Jon Parise (jon@horde.org) :: The Horde Project (http://horde.org/)