[imp] high cpu load/httpd waiting (imp 2.2.8)

ddm@ruc.dk ddm@ruc.dk
Fri Nov 15 13:18:55 2002

Hi,

  Sorry for the previous mail, just hit "send"
  in place of "save draft"...

  We have the following problem with IMP 2.2.8:

  When we restart httpd things are running fine
  for a while then it seems that some httpd
  processes start doing nothing else than wait
  (no system calls) with a cpu load just
  increasing as result.

  Since last week we had IMP 2.2.8 running on
  a single processor server. The server runs:

  - Red Hat 7.1 kernel 2.4.2-2.
  - Horde 1.2.8
  - Apache 1.3.22
  - PHP 4.0.4
  - MySQL 3.23.36

  We reinstalled IMP 2.2.8 on a new server:

  - faster CPU, bigger disks, more RAM
  - Debian 3.0 kernel 2.4.19
  - Horde 1.2.8
  - Apache 1.3.27
  - PHP 4.2.3
  - MySQL 3.23.39

  The upgrade didn't fix the problem. Both
  servers were only used to run IMP and we have
  something like 5.000 logins/day.

  We of course checked our network, our IMAP server,
  etc.

  Did somebody experienced the same problem?
  Does somebody have any idea of what could be the
  problem?

Regards,

David

David De Maeyer
Roskilde University Center
Computer Science Department
Box 260, Hus 42.1
4000 Roskilde
Denmark
voice (+45) 46 74 38 29 fax (+45) 46 74 30 72