[imp] IMP/cvs stability

Nate Mollring nmollring@cennecs.org
Fri Nov 15 16:03:58 2002

Quoting "\"Gonzalo G. Agulló\"" <agullo@comtenidos.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Currently running IMP 3.1 successfully, but I'm missing improvements and
> fixes only available from cvs. I wonder how stable cvs branches are.
>
> Are they reasonably ready for production systems if they're not critical
> or not with high load?
>
> I have a few IMP balanced frontends, sharing mysql at a backend server
> for storage. If I upgrade some individual server for evaluation before
> setting the whole frontline servers with new version, might I break imp
> tables consistency? Will different branches coexist fine while sharing
> the db backend?

I'm running the latest CVS head without a problem on my personal server--7
email accounts.  I keep the old 3.1 version installed just in case I get a CVS
update that doesn't work at all.  They both coexist using the same database
without any trouble I've seen anyway.  You will need to update the database
tables to run the later CVS version, but it adds items--so the old version
works OK.  You probably want to look at the requirements to see what else you
will need to upgrade(like php for example) I would set up a test server and see
what you think.
When the demo site is working:
http://webmail.demo.hub.org/