[imp] Login Problems user =???

Nabil Hanke Nabil@mechageddon.com
Tue Nov 19 02:10:56 2002

newbie shpiel: I have only used linux for a short time, i'm learning, and have
been racking my head on what should be simple things. i have tried lurking
the archive to no avail... bla bla bla...

to the point:
Redhat-7.3
Horde-2.1 (from gz)
imp-3.1 (from gz)
php-imap-4.1.2-7 (from rh7.3-cd rpm)
php-mysql-4.1.2-7 (from rh7.3-cd rpm)
php-4.1.2-7 (from rh7.3-cd rpm)
php-devel-4.1.2-7 (from rh7.3-cd rpm)
php-dbg-4.1.2-7 (from rh7.3-cd rpm)
imap-2000c-15 (from rpmfind.net rpm) [cd's imap rpm incompatible - 2001a]
kmail-3.0.0-4 (from rh7.3-cd rpm)

I can connect to the pop3 server with kmail both locally, and on separate
machine on lan, as well as through sprintpcs.com's pop access.  Kmail reports
that the pop3 server supports TLS/LOGIN.

I cannot connect to the IMAP locally or remote with Kmail.  No error msg's in
kmail.  maillog indicates "command stream end of file, while reading line
user =??? host=localhost.localdomain"

Horde is configured to authenticate through IMP. Login fails every time.
maillog indicates "user =???" each time on both imap and pop3. in my
servers.php, i have tried:
pop3
pop3/notls
pop3/ssl
pop3/ssl/novalidate-cert
pop3/ssl/
imap
imap/notls
imap/ssl
imap/ssl/novalidate-cert

I also recieve the same results when using the
http://demo.horde.org/stable/horde/imp/login.php with all the available
options.  The same user =??? is placed into the maillog.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.