[imp] Re: Software

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Tue Nov 19 10:48:26 2002

Zitat von Willie Du Preez <w.dupreez@cscape.com>:

> Hi Jan,
>
> If you don't mind, I would like to ask a bit of advice. I was wondering
> if you could point me in the right direction as to what software to use
> for the following:
>
> I am running a Redhat 7.3 box and need to be able to set up a couple of
> virtual email domains. I obviously want to run Horde (specifically Imp)
> so that users can access their mail via the web when out of the office
> (probably IMAP when in the office using something like MS Outlook :-(
>
> At the same time, I would like the users to be able to use some of the
> nice features that you guys provide in horde such as changing of their
> passwords, setting up a Out-of-office reply, shared calendars, etc ....
>
> My question is this: what in your opinion would be that best mail server
> software to use. I have had a look at Qmail with Courier IMAP, but it
> does not seems quite elegant enough. Any thoughts?

I personally am a fan of Cyrus. It's fast, has a server side filter language
and you don't have to create system accounts for mail users.
But after all it really depends on your organization and hardware/network
system and even on your personal taste.

And there are probably others who can compare the different servers better
than me.

Jan.