[imp] Re: IMP and Cyrus - unencrypted login to localhost impossible?

Horst Simon Horst.Simon@oz.quest.com
Thu Nov 21 01:17:40 2002

"Markus Gaugusch" <markus@gaugusch.at> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've been working for weeks on this and still have no solution:
> I've set up latest IMP and Horde with cyrus imapd 2.1.9 on a machine. If I
> use imap/ssl/novalidate-cert and port 993 everything works fine. Users are
> authenticated via saslauthd (pam)
> But port 143 and imap or imap/notls don't work. I get
>
> Nov 20 21:05:33 dynast imap[13956]: executed
> Nov 20 21:05:34 dynast imapd[13864]: no secret in database
> Nov 20 21:05:34 dynast imapd[13864]: badlogin: localhost[127.0.0.1]
> CRAM-MD5 [SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database]
>
> Why the hell is it trying to login with CRAM-MD5? Imp should use PLAIN.
> It is just a localhost connection, so there is really no security
> implication and SSL just slows everything down - unnecessary.
> I could create users in the sasldb2, but I want to authenticate against
> the system DB via PAM...
>
> kind regards
> Markus Gaugusch

Hi Markus,

I hope there is someone with a solution to this one. I have the same
problem, where imp wants to
authenticate to sasldb2, but not to pam, every other client works ok. It is
probably hard coded
into php.

Regards,
Horst