[imp] caching of imap folder information

Klavs Klavsen kl@vsen.dk
Mon Nov 25 11:39:57 2002

Hi guys,

I'm about to implement IMP with a courier-imap server as the backend for
100+ users, and I would like to know if IMP caches the folder listings
it gets from the imap-server?

If it doesn't I foresee a nightmare (load-wise) when a user enters his
500+mb mailbox, with 1000+ emails in one folder and IMP has to go
retrieve every header each time, the user reloads or switches from one
folder to another :-(

also, does IMP cache Authentication credentials, so it doesn't have to
go to LDAP every time (a short-term caching of credentials would be
great for performance I think).

Any comments on this? I'm guessing this is maybe on the todo-list - has
been done, or has been decided not to be done, for some reason? (what
options are left? :-)

Thank you for your input.