[imp] caching of imap folder information

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Sat Nov 30 22:19:24 2002

Quoting Klavs Klavsen <kl@vsen.dk>:

| Hi guys,
|
| I'm about to implement IMP with a courier-imap server as the backend for
| 100+ users, and I would like to know if IMP caches the folder listings
| it gets from the imap-server?
|
| If it doesn't I foresee a nightmare (load-wise) when a user enters his
| 500+mb mailbox, with 1000+ emails in one folder and IMP has to go
| retrieve every header each time, the user reloads or switches from one
| folder to another :-(

This is the big thing on my TODO list - it is one of the reasons why I
tried to consolidate all mailbox code in IMP_Mailbox::.  However, it is not
as bad as it seems - some IMAP servers may cache internally some of these
values, or even more abstract, it may be cached at the OS level to a
certain degree.

michael