[imp] Download links

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 3 02:53:35 2002

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Why do all browsers suck so much...

Often wondered that myself ;)

> It turns out that the little hack to
> "fool" browsers into correct download behavior does not work without the
> PATH_INFO information.

Okay.

> Unfortunately, PATH_INFO is turned off by default in
> Apache 2 installations.

Can't we just document this and make the admin enable it?  Like we do
for things like file_uploads (off by default now)?

> Thus, downloading with the latest versions of
> Netscape (7) or Mozilla (1.2) produces download filenames (at least on
> windows) with .php added to the end.  Really annoying.

Annoying, but hardely a show stopper, and hence not something we really
need to work around if the fix is as easy as a web server setting.

I know if we don't provide a work around this will become an FAQ, but I'd
rather let it be an FAQ than provide complex and/or obscure work arounds.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!