[imp] load balancing

Didi Rieder adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at
Thu Dec 5 18:27:58 2002

Zitat von Liam Hoekenga <liamr@umich.edu>:

> > > What are people using for load balancers?
> > If your machines are running under Linux you might take a look at
> > http://ha.redhat.com
> > Didi
>
> We're currently using Solaris 8 (SPARC), but we are going to be deploying
> some linux / intel servers in the near future.

I played arround with an HA-Cluster under RedHat 2 years ago, and from that
what I remember, the backend machines (real servers) do not necessarily have to
run under Linux, they can also run under another OS. So you would just have to
setup the 2 (or 1) load-balancing routers under Linux and the servers would
still run under Solaris.

If you haven't done it yet....
You might also try to install the php-accelerator on your webservers
(http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/) it should also reduce the load and speed up
the service.
And if you have money...
try the following: http://www.horde.org/zend (and help the horde project :-))

BTW: We run IMP (~11k users) on a single SUN Fire 280 2x 900Mhz and 4GB RAM and
have no real preformance problem (may be your users use it more than ours)...

Didi