[imp] load balancing

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 5 19:17:16 2002

Quoting Liam Hoekenga <liamr@umich.edu>:

> What are people using for load balancers?
>
> Liam

I don't use load balancers for Horde/IMP myself, but I do use load balancers,
and my University does use a load balancer with its Horde 1.x + IMP 2.2
installation.

1) Big-IP by F5, but if you want to save a ton of money buy it from Dell
   instead of F5.  Can offload your ssl from your web servers, do firewalling,
   etc.  Most flexible thing out there IMHO.  But costs a lot.  This is what
   I use for my load balancing (plus ssl off loading).

2) Cisco LocalDirector.  This is what my University uses for mail.  Seems
   to work okay.  Cheaper than Big-IP, and does less, but is a good
   general purpose load balancer.

I would say either of the above would be a good choice.  Which one depends
on your needs (plan load balancing vs lots of bells and whistles) and you
buget.  Both come in High Available and Redundent configurations...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!