[imp] load balancing

Amith Varghese amith at xalan.com
Thu Dec 5 19:42:37 2002

> 1) Big-IP by F5, but if you want to save a ton of money buy it from Dell
>    instead of F5.  Can offload your ssl from your web servers, do
> firewalling,
>    etc.  Most flexible thing out there IMHO.  But costs a lot.  This is what
>    I use for my load balancing (plus ssl off loading).

If you got the cash, this is the way to go.  The ability to monitor services at
an application level (rather than a simple TCP/IP packet) is really nice.

> 2) Cisco LocalDirector.  This is what my University uses for mail.  Seems
>    to work okay.  Cheaper than Big-IP, and does less, but is a good
>    general purpose load balancer.

Works well as a good overall load balancer.  i've used it a bunch.  But i think
there are some linux projects out there (i'm drawing a blank right now) that do
the same thing as a cisco local director.  don't spend the cash on this until
you do some research.