[imp] IMP 3.1 / user@domain.ext on virtual domains

Tobias Eigen tobias at kabissa.org
Tue Dec 17 22:15:33 PST 2002

>  | > None of the answers below will work if you can't login with the UID and
>  | > domain name.
>  | Alas :-(
>  | Thanks for the great ideas,
> They weren't great or they would have worked.  I don't understand how other
> clients can work using only the uid. Can you have a Tobias login on each
> domain?

Yes, that's precisely the frustration that we have on this box. Seems insane,
but there can be (and are) overlapping usernames across domains hosted on this
server. One of the first mailboxes anybody sets up on domains on Kabissa
is 'info@domain.ext' - the next one is 'webmaster@domain.ext'. So we have
hundreds of overlapping mailboxes. :-(

It's a huge problem for IMP, but IMAP doesn't care - the passwords have to be
unique and it seems to use these to figure that out. Maybe this is a particular
issue related to PLESK servers - I don't know, but I'll check their support
forums.

> sorry,

Don't be sorry - I'll get there sooner or later! Thanks for the help! These
ideas are bringing me further in my quest. If someone has some experience with
these hooks and can help me write the vinfo function please drop me a line. I
think it should be possible.

Cheers,

Tobias