[imp] load balancing / temporary files..

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Wed Dec 18 10:04:37 PST 2002

> In the round robin dns setup once you get on a server you stay on that
> server therfore your aspell files will be on the server you are on at
> all times.

It's our experience that this is not true (at least doing round robin w/
bind).

I believe it's also part of the SSL / TLS spec that once a browser has
establish an encrypted session w/ a multihomed web host, that it's
supposed to talk to that host exclusively until the session is finished
(this was something my boss told me, but I can't find support for this).
Anyways, browsers don't behave this way either.

The only way we were able to guarentee that users continued talking to the
same host was to give each host a unique name, and use a PHP script to do
the round robin (instead of using DNS).

Liam