[imp] IMP 3.1 / user@domain.ext on virtual domains

Tobias Eigen tobias at kabissa.org
Wed Dec 18 09:16:29 PST 2002

Hi Ed,

Thank you (and thanks to Amith and others) for continuing to help me to think
through this problem. I had a dig around in the PLESK forums and this seems to
be a very common issue - so serious that people are in fact disabling IMP
rather than opening themselves up to the vulnerabilities.

Paste this into your browser: http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?
s=9d9f4cd42d46d8bb9fc0dd5478f74d57&threadid=5144&highlight=imp+3.1

It seems remarkable, but the combination of PLESK and IMP really does have the
following problems:

1) The UID to log into IMAP really is just the username (minus the domain.ext).
Accounts are distinguished across domains only by the password used. This only
matters for IMP - doesn't matter a jot for Outlook etc. In fact it's convenient
since users only have to type in their username.

2) People logging into IMP on other PLESK domains on the same server get
preferences and addressbooks etc for other users. Ick.

3) People logging into IMP on other PLESK domains send mail from the wrong From
address in their default identity. Double ick.

I don't want to hack around the PLESK hack, if that's what it is. I'd rather
find a way to do what I've been saying - make people log into IMP using their
full username@domain.ext email address and use the information as follows:

username - to log into IMAP
username@domain.ext - for prefs
username@domain.ext - for the from address when sending mail