[imp] Attaching File Problem

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri Dec 27 14:29:57 PST 2002

Quoting Ernesto Garcia <otsenre76 at yahoo.com

| When i go to attach a file, sometimes IMP says "There is a problem with
| attach", and in other cases send the email with attach but the size of
| file is more big than the original.
|
| I must have problem with MIME, i think, someone help me please.

As far as the error messages go - the error messages in HEAD are much
improved as php returns better error messages for the reason why the
attachment could not be uploaded.  This can not be backported to IMP 3.x
though since this functionality requires PHP 4.2.0, and IMP 3.x only
requires 4.1.0.

As for the size - this is expected.  You can not send 8bit binary
information across email for various reasons that I won't go into here.  So
you must convert it into 7bit instead - this is done for binary data by
using base64 encoding.  This encoding can increase the size of a file by
~30% so that is why the size of the file is increasing.

michael