[imp] The Blacklist - Again

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Sat Jan 4 14:36:53 PST 2003

Quoting John Bradley <John.Bradley at plattsburgh.edu>:

| Hi All,
|       I found a brief discussion of this from last February, but was
| wondering if there is any new information on it.  We, too, have been
| asked to consider an alternate term for "Blacklist."  This leads me to a
| couple of questions:
|
|       1.  Does any one know of plans to address this in a future release?
|           Perhaps making the name configurable?

Directions on how to change:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=imp&m=101456090624326&w=2

Just a note too, on the origins of the term 'blacklist' (this was from
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=imp&m=101443988106040&w=2):

Blacklist, blacksheep, black magic... "those terms developed long before
European whites were aware of a black race. And they arose, not out of
racism, but religious beliefs that associated black, with the dark
underworld, with hell and the devil."

With this background, there doesn't seem to be any reason to alter the
name 'blacklist' in the IMP distribution.  As always, you are free to do
what you want to on your local installation

michael