[imp] Balancing Question

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Sun Jan 5 08:43:30 PST 2003

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Derek Martin wrote:

> Let's say I have a brand new Dell Poweredge running RH7.3 and the
> current production versions of all HORDE apps.  The box is a dual XEON
> 2Ghz a piece with 2Gb of RAM and I have 100Gb of space to play with (for
> possible file caching) and the IMAPProxy 1.0 from HORDE running.
> With this in mind, what would be a reasonable guess from you guys and
> gals as to the number of simultaneous users before we started seeing
> problems running IMP???
>
> Thanks!
> Derek
>
> Derek Martin
> YOU Networks Administrator
> http://you.okstate.edu <http://you.okstate.edu/>
> derek at younet.okstate.edu

If you can explain what you mean by "simultaneous users", I should be able
to tell you...  :)  Here are some possible interpretations:

1. Number of unique users currently "logged in" to IMP.
2. Number of web server hits per second.
3. Number of IMAP-using (not GIFs) hits per second.

Now, I think Jon is right in saying that your IMAP server will probably
run out of steam before your IMP box.  I've got 2 Dell 2650s with about
the same config as your box.  The load average rarely gets over 0.5, and
most of the time they run at 0.1.  Now the IMAP server on the other
hand...  :)

	Andy