[imp] Gettext+Locale question

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 7 10:53:32 PST 2003

Quoting Przemyslaw Witek <primo at npl.pl>:

> Hi all.
> After 5 hours of reading archives Im really tired.
> I cant find one answer to my problem so I
> decided to write here.

RH 8.0 is new, and so not much help is available.  If you find out the
answer, please let us know and we will add it to the FAQ.

> I have my horde, imp, gettext etc. workin properly
> but I have one problem with other languages.
> I noticed that after locale -a I see only english
> languages.

The easiest way to do this is at system installation time, when it asks
you what languages you want to include.  But probably too late for that now.

You can also boot the first cd-rom, and choose upgrade, and "upgrade" the
current installation in order to specify additional locale support.  But
this may require more downtime that you want?  And again, I've not tried
this, so it may or may not work.

> So the question is: How can I add more
> to this list?

No idea, but maybe the redhat-config-language tool might give a clue (I've
never used it, sorry).  It is in the redhat-config-language RPM.  This seems
like the tool that should do the job, but the docs imply that it will not
do the job.

> I have all required files in /usr/share/locale
> but dont know how to add them (compile?) I tried
> to do that with localedef but it doesnt work for me.
> Maybe I did it wrong because of badly understood
> man file. Im on RH 8.0.
> Thanks for any help.
> PW

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!