[imp] imp inStalLation under Red Hat 8

Kevin G. Hammond hammond at matrixtek.com
Tue Jan 7 21:59:25 PST 2003

I put up a quick website regarding a post that I followed to get RedHat
8.0 and IMP 3.1 working from RPM's.

http://www.matrixtek.com/resources/tools/rh80-imp-faq.html

After three attempts and many hours trying to do recompile PHP, APACHE
and what felt like half the binaries on RedHat, this resource made it
very easy for a average skilled Linux admin.

FYI, I still don't understand the whole CVS thing.

I know this will probably earn me a handful of flames, but one of the
biggest problems I see with the Linux community and developers is that
Linux is continually changing how to install, manage and support many
different packages, and the developers expect the admins to somehow
automatically know the specifics for each of these with limited to no
documentation.

So, I felt to justify myself, I should do some quick research into CVS
from the Horde page.  And I got exactly what I expected, enough
information to question what exactly it is and how to use it, and a link
to more information that is hard to understand as well.  Why can't
developers put together good installation instructions???  And you
wonder why Windows is kicking Linux's but around...  I rarely need to
even look at documentation when installing Windows Server Services
because they all follow the same patterns and are easily understood.
When I need to reference documentation, it exists and has step by step
installation instructions.

And I don't want to hear anyone saying do you want us to spend time
making a better program or writing documentation...  Better programming
does no good if only a small portion of the world knows how to use it,
unless that is your goal.