[imp] imp inStalLation under Red Hat 8

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jan 7 21:45:05 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 20:59, Kevin G. Hammond wrote:
> I put up a quick website regarding a post that I followed to get RedHat
> 8.0 and IMP 3.1 working from RPM's.
>
> http://www.matrixtek.com/resources/tools/rh80-imp-faq.html
>
> After three attempts and many hours trying to do recompile PHP, APACHE
> and what felt like half the binaries on RedHat, this resource made it
> very easy for a average skilled Linux admin.
>
> FYI, I still don't understand the whole CVS thing.
>
> I know this will probably earn me a handful of flames, but one of the
> biggest problems I see with the Linux community and developers is that
> Linux is continually changing how to install, manage and support many
> different packages, and the developers expect the admins to somehow
> automatically know the specifics for each of these with limited to no
> documentation.
>
> So, I felt to justify myself, I should do some quick research into CVS
> from the Horde page.  And I got exactly what I expected, enough
> information to question what exactly it is and how to use it, and a link
> to more information that is hard to understand as well.  Why can't
> developers put together good installation instructions???  And you
> wonder why Windows is kicking Linux's but around...  I rarely need to
> even look at documentation when installing Windows Server Services
> because they all follow the same patterns and are easily understood.
> When I need to reference documentation, it exists and has step by step
> installation instructions.
>
> And I don't want to hear anyone saying do you want us to spend time
> making a better program or writing documentation...  Better programming
> does no good if only a small portion of the world knows how to use it,
> unless that is your goal.

-----
-----
You are entitled to your view.

RedHat supplies php with version 8.0 (psyche) that worked fine right out
of the box with imp with the lone exception being a few pear extensions
that are easily added.

The standard for linux is open source so you should expect to be able to
download, unzip and compile from source (make - if you will).

RedHat uses RPM which is intended to simplify
installing/uninstalling/upgrading etc. but it becomes another system.

I would submit that your view reflects your attitude which is all
wrong...there are those that curse the darkness and those that light a
candle - you could make a difference if you wanted to. If you feel that
good installation instructions are needed...why not help to write them?
I kind of thought that open source worked that way but maybe I don't
understand.

Not only does linux expect the admin to know how to make things work -
windows does too - only it lets you install stuff when you haven't the
foggiest notion of what you are doing - and I guess people click their
way around to make things work - or somewhat work. That's one way to do
things of course.

Me - I'm an ex-Mac / ex-Windows person. I've been paying the price to
learn how to make things work in linux. I can tell you that when fix
things with a simple text editor, I'm so glad that I am working through
the nuances of linux.

Better yet...I was just looking at a mail server that has been up for
176 days...and the last 3 times it went down was because of power
interruptions in the building. If it was a Windows server...I would have
had to restart it at least 8 times in the last 6 months just installing
security fixes (and no doubt having to assent to the latest EULA).

The next time you face a Windows machine that won't install or uninstall
a software program (which happens too frequently for my taste) and you
have to wipe the hd and reinstall everything...you should wonder why you
have to pay for that privilege - and yes, it's a privilege since you
don't own anything...only an untransferable license to install on one
computer.

A computer technician/system administrator wouldn't be bothered by
learning the technical details because they would welcome the learning
experience but a user masquerading as an administrator will always be
baffled by the details that they have no interest in knowing.

Sorry that I continued the off-topic thread.

btw...to the original post - which I believe that has already been
answered - you need to set imp/config/servers.php to use imap/notls

Craig