[imp] Problem with Filter

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue Jan 7 22:06:09 PST 2003

Quoting Adrian Walters <adrian at na.dhs.org>:

| Can someone explain to me
| how the new filter screen works? In the last release (imp 3), there was
| one list of email addresses. If it matched the email then it was moved or
| deleted depending on the rule. With the new layout it seems that when a
| message is added to the black list it gets all added to one rule, but
| what if i wanted to add a rule for horde mailing lists. It seems like I
| would have to either add it by hand, or blacklist it and then manually
| move it to a custom rule. Is this right or am I just confused with the
| new design.

The new design consists of two entirely separate filtering actions.  The
blacklist is used for one item only - if you receive a message with a From:
address that matches an address in the blacklist, it is deleted.  It is
separate since it is the most used functionality of filters.

The second thing you can do is specify certain words to scan for in other
headers or the body.  You can specify which specific headers to search for
and whether you want to delete or move the message.

(as a sidenote, notice that if you put in the search 'delete message where
the From: header contains email-address' in the Rule definition, it will
get added automatically to the blacklist.  That is the rule the blacklist
is transparently matching.)

michael