[imp] IMP Hangs on login (problem solved)

Henry Chea hchea at kungstorget.nu
Mon Jan 13 23:44:36 PST 2003

Hi all,

I've had a problem with IMP that I recently solved.  I searched the archives of
this email list and it seems that a few others have had similar problems but no
one has posted a solution I could find.  I'm posting my solution here just in
case it'll help anyone.

+++++++++++

The problem: When trying to log onto an IMAP server via IMP 3.0, the web browser
waits and eventually times out.  On the server (Red Hat 7.3 Linux), the httpd
process reaches high cpu loads, and imapd seems to hang.  Eventually there is a
message in /var/log/messages that looks like:
Jan 13 01:47:04 server httpd: IMAP toolkit crash: Lock when already locked

This problem was localized to one user account only, meaning that other users
didn't experience this.

+++++++++++

Cause of the problem: I successfully logged into IMP once, then edited the
horde/imp/config/servers.php file without remembering to log out first.  When I
edited the file, I edited this line:
'folders' => 'mail/',
I made that line look like this:
'folders' => '',

I saved changes.  Then (stupid me), I remembered to log out of IMP after I had
already saved the file.  Next time I tried to log in, the login hung.

Solution: It turns out that when logging out above, IMP somehow saved data in
the MySQL database that was no longer good.  IMP would hang when trying to use
the MySQL data.  I solved the problem by deleting the entries in the Horde MySQL
database.  I don't know exactly which entry was bad since I deleted all the
entries at once.  Note that user prefs will be lost when doing this, but it
fixed the problem!

Hope this helps,
//Henry