[imp] Some more SMIME observations

Chris Hastie lists at oak-wood.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 12:40:56 PST 2003

A few more observations on SMIME support:

1)  I found it impossible to import a private key pair because you get
    into a loop of continually being asked to supply your public key. To
    do, I think, with this at around line 120 of imp/smime.php

    case SMIME_IMPORT_ADDITIONAL_CERT:
    case SMIME_IMPORT_PERSONAL_PUBLIC_KEY:
        _importKeyDialog($actionID);
        exit;

    I don't know about the SMIME_IMPORT_ADDITIONAL_CERT, but this for
    SMIME_IMPORT_PERSONAL_PUBLIC_KEY works better:

    case SMIME_IMPORT_PERSONAL_PUBLIC_KEY:
        _importKeyDialog(SMIME_IMPORT_PERSONAL_PRIVATE_KEY);
        exit;

2)  imp/smime.php continues to offer to let you import a personal key,
    even if it's already there. Showing you details of the existing keys
    seems dependant on having an additional certificate as well. Line 52
    of imp/templates/smime/smime.inc:

<?php elseif ($prefs->getValue('smime_public_key') && $prefs->getValue('smime_private_key') && $prefs->getValue('smime_additional_cert')): ?>

3)  Having sorted that, unsetting a passphrase and then immediately
    resetting it doesn't work, as imp/smime.php is refreshed with the
    unset actionID when the pass phrase dialogue is closed, constantly
    deleting the phrase you've just set.
--
Chris Hastie