[imp] uuencode

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu Jan 23 00:46:20 PST 2003

Quoting Richard Heggs <richard.heggs at nottinghamcity.gov.uk>:

| Hi list,
|
| I see from a post last July that Michael M Slusarz has added support for
| uuencoded messages.  This is a huge sticking point for our adoption of
| Imp (in fact I think it's the only one left).  Will this be going into
| Imp 3.2?
| I've just configured yesterdays RELENG snapshop, and it doesn't appear to
| be there yet......

I did.  See:
http://cvs.horde.org/diff.php/horde/lib/MIME/Part.php?r1=1.54&r2=1.55&ty=h
This change wass only good for HEAD though.

Some comments:
1. What mail composers are sending messages that are uuencoded?  Those mail
composers are absolute crap.  Honestly, any recent mailer won't send via
uuencode, especially since MIME was implemented over 10 years ago - and
MIME has no support for uuencoding _at all_.  Thus, my solution is hackish
as is since there is no RFC to rely on.

2. This code can't be backported to IMP 3.x since the MIME framework has
been completely reworked in IMP 4.0.  If you compare HEAD and RELENG, you
will notice that MIME_Part:: doesn't even have a decode() function in
RELENG.

Feel free to adapt it to your setup.  But in light of #1, and the fact that
I personally haven't seen a single uuencoded message, I see no reason to
make an effort to potentially cause other problems in the stable 3.x
codebase in an effort to backport it.

michael