[imp] Problems using ldap for authentication and preferences - competing ldap operations?

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Wed Jan 29 08:40:44 PST 2003

Quoting Robert Kubarych <rkubarych at bergen.edu>:

 | I'm having problems getting IMP to work when using ldap for both
 | preferences and authentication.  From my logs it appears to me that
 | there are some competing operations going on between authentications and
 | retrieving the preferences.  The horde log shows that at one point the
 | bind to the server with DN
 | uid=lsmith at stumail.bergen.edu,dc=stumail,dc=bergen,dc=edu fails, yet it
 | successfully binds with that DN at other points.
 |

 | Is anyone out there using ldap both for preferences and authentication
 | successfully or do I have something screwed up somewhere?  Any help
 | would be greatly appreciated.  Some output from my logs is pasted below.

I've osillated from one to the other.  Right now I'm using mysql for prefs.
I feel it is a better fit for the type of information that is being stored.
I can easily swith though and I did on my up to date head machine and they
work as expected in ldap.  BTW, I always use ldap for authentication.

Some things to check:
horde/conf

$conf['prefs']['driver'] = 'ldap';
$conf['prefs']['params'] = array();
$conf['prefs']['params']['hostspec'] = 'localhost';
$conf['prefs']['params']['port'] = '389';
$conf['prefs']['params']['basedn'] = 'ou=people,o=yourdomain.org';
$conf['prefs']['params']['uid'] = 'mail';

horde/scripts/ldap/horde.schema is up to date or has all your modules and
is correctly configured in slapd.conf.

If the above is true and I'm not forgetting something, it should work.

ed