[imp] IMP 3.2-cvs problems on production system. Would like help

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri Jan 31 16:48:27 PST 2003

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

| Quoting WYSS <Daniel.Wyss at Colorado.EDU>:
|
| | 3) If a user has these characters in the "identities"-"full name
| field:"
| |    -=\ joe /=-
| | or
| |    -=/ joe \=-       can't remember the order of slashes- sorry
| |
| | this blanks out "who" this message is coming from. In this case I just
| | told the users to remove the slashed and it worked.

Turns out you can't have the "\" character in your personal quoted
information.  From RFC 2822 [3.2.5]:

3.2.5. Quoted strings

qtext           =       NO-WS-CTL /     ; Non white space controls

                        %d33 /          ; The rest of the US-ASCII
                        %d35-91 /       ;  characters not including "\"
                        %d93-126        ;  or the quote character

qcontent        =       qtext / quoted-pair

   As stated earlier, the "\" in any quoted-pair and
   the CRLF in any FWS/CFWS that appears within the quoted-string are
   semantically "invisible" and therefore not part of the quoted-string
   either.

Therefore, it is an invalid name.  I am going to add a check to identities
that prevents these characters from being allowed.

michael