[imp] IMP 3.2-cvs problems on production system. Would like help

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri Jan 31 14:59:08 PST 2003

Quoting WYSS <Daniel.Wyss at Colorado.EDU>:

| Running:
| --------
| Horde 2.2-cvs
| Imp 3.2-cvs
| turba 1.2-cvs
| php_4.1.2
| apache_1.3.26
| sendmail-8.12.6
| uw imap 2001a
| on Solaris 8
| -----------
|
| These are some the problems our users have been reporting:
| We would like to know if anyone has seen/confirmed the same issues with
| this version of horde/imp/turba
|
| 1) After composing a message with an attachment it does not send, the
| compose window just refreshes itself.
|
| In the situation I have discovered that this occurs when a user cuts and
| pastes microsoft word text (with quotes and double quotes) into the
| compose window. When removing the double-quotes and single quotes from
| the
| message it sends off just fine. So it appears that these microsoft quotes
| disrupt the sending of messages with attachments. If there is not an
| attachment it works fine.

Daniel and I _finally_ figured this one out.  Woo-hoo.  Turns out that IE
6+ will mess up the beginning of the data stream sent to the server when
using multipart/form-data and when certain characters (e.g. single/double
quotes copied from MS Word) were present in the body text.
See the thread at: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=imp&m=102999470709079&w=2
for a more complete description of the problem.

It turns out that the garbled data stream causes the server to completely
ignore the first POST data item.  Thus, the solution is to insert a dummy
POST field when using an IE 6+ browser as the first field.  This field is
ignored and the second field (which is MAX_FILE_SIZE in HEAD, actionID in
3.2) is correctly parsed.

| 2) If a user has a period (.) in a line by itself in a composed message,
| and the message gets sent off, sendmail breaks off the message at this
| point.
| In otherwords an EOT. This also occures if a period exists in a
| signature.

This can be solved by adding a parameter to the sendmail invocation to
ignore '.' as EOT in the body of a message.  See your sendmail man() page
for the correct parameter.

| 3) If a user has these characters in the "identities"-"full name field:"
| or
|    -=/ joe \=-       can't remember the order of slashes- sorry
|
| this blanks out "who" this message is coming from. In this case I just
| told the users to remove the slashed and it worked.

This is a problem in HEAD also and is currently being worked on.

michael