[imp] Re: Problems Running IMP

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 3 00:38:27 PST 2003

Quoting Gene Hurst <tehurst at bellsouth.net>:

> > What are you passing as the imap protocol string?  You probably need
> > /notls if you are not using ssl, and if you are using ssl then there
> > are multiple possible problems.
>
> I was using "imap," but I changed the protocol string in
> /var/www/html/horde/config/horde.php to "imap/notls."  This seemed to
> help somewhat in that now I actually get past the login screen, but get
> this error:

Add the /notls to the imp/config/servers.php file as well. Then try the
horde/test.php and horde/test.php pages, including the test login for
the imp test page.

It would probably be good if you posted your imap stanza from the
horde/imp/config/servers.php file, minus any info you may deem
confidential.

> Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in
> /var/www/html/horde/login.php on line 33

What are your $conf['auth']['driver'] and $conf['auth']['params'][*]
settings in horde/config/horde.php?

What is on line 33 of your horde/login.php file?  (Don't remember your
version, so not sure what your line 33 would be).

> I do not see any references to this login attempt in any system logs...

That's not good.  I'd hope to see something in the maillog file.

> not even in /tmp/horde.log.

Yeah, not much of use gets logged there when the problem is with the imap
server.

> I also changed the authentication to use IMP, with "imap/notls" in
> servers.php in registry.php after
> making this change and started getting errors saying that the page could
> not be found when trying to get to a login page

Sounds like maybe you have a mistake in your registry.php file paths,
and/or in your apache httpd.conf file paths.

>  The paths in the
> httpd logs looked like either httpd or horde/imp was trying to find the
> login page as /var/www/html/login.asp, which of course is not the
> correct path, but I am not trying to resolve this issue yet.  I just
> remarked the lines in registry.php back out.

That is real strange, and you should try to fix this now.  I hope the
"login.asp" is a typo, as Horde should only look for php files and not
asp files.

> My logs (horde, messages, secure, httpd, and maillog) show nothing about
> the horde/imp problems that I can discern.  I have already checked them
> several times looking for a clue.  When I accessed my mail server using
> an IMAP account created in Evolution, I saw IMAP connections in the mail
> log.  I am not seeing these when attempting to use IMP.

That would suggest that the connection is never made.  That would suggest
either a buggy php install, or a misconfigured horde/imp, or a misconfigured
apache server.

> My IMAP installation works fine either locally or over the network.  I
> can ssh into the server and make an IMAP connection on the command line
> to my account using either localhost or redhat, the name of the server.

Okay, so we can rule out things like firewall, wrappers, etc.

> > There are big imap differences between RH 7.2 (not updated) and RH 8.0
> > concerning things like tsl/ssl support.
>
> Yes... this would certainly seem to be true.  This is probably why other
> people running Redhat 8.0 are having the exact same issue.

Yes, but it works for many. For those it doesn't work for, 95% fix it
simply by adding /notls, 3% by adding /novalidate-cert for ssl connections,
and 1% by actually installing a certificate for the ssl connection.
It is the remaining 1% or so that is the problem.

There are other RH 8.0 issues though, like file upload limits, etc.
Fun stuff.  But it all can work.  The only change I had to make was to
the post limit in /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf (since I'd already had
to make the /notls change long ago, when I upgraded my php, long before
I went to RH 8.0)

> Hopefully we
> can work through this and see what it will take to get IMP working again
> for people running Redhat 8.0.

Well, for most of them, it works great as long as they use /notls and
adjust their /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf file.

> Thanks,
>
> Gene Hurst

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this soon.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!