[imp] Re: Re: CVS Imp and Russian in body of message

Dan Tulovsky dant at wetsnow.com
Mon Feb 3 19:53:38 PST 2003

Hmm.

So, I did have UTF-8 enabled.  Disabling this, results in a message being
displayed above the garbled russian text:

This message was written in a character set other than your own. If it is
not displayed correctly, try opening it in a new window.

Opening it in a new window still leaves the text garbled.

> > My interface is in English (I can switch the interface itself to Russian
> > and
> > everything displays fine in the interface - the message does not)/
>
> Of course. How should this work with two different charsets?

Well, it works for Japanese emails when my interface is in English.  Why
shouldn't it work for Russian?  Also, the russian shows up fine when I view
source.

> > Where should I enable UTF-8 support?  The locale on my system are:
>
> In config/nls.php. If you enable it and have multibyte extensions compiled
> into PHP, both the interface and the message get converted to UTF-8 and
can
> be displayed at the same time.

Also, Russian is not multibyte, so I don't think this would apply.

I think the problem is coming from the fact that IMP isn't picking up the
correct charset.  The Japanese message has headers:

Also, just like the russian page, the source shows:

anything.

in nls.php, my defaults are:

/* The langauge to fall back on if we cannot determine one any other
   way (user choice, preferences, HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE). */
$nls['defaults']['language'] = 'en_US';

/* The charset to fall back on if we cannot determine one any other
   way (chosen language, HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSETS). */
$nls['defaults']['charset'] = 'ISO-8859-1';

Which is what it seems to be using?

Thanks,
Dan