[imp] Re: Re: CVS Imp and Russian in body of message

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Feb 4 02:01:42 PST 2003

Zitat von Dan Tulovsky <dant at wetsnow.com>:

> So, I did have UTF-8 enabled.  Disabling this, results in a message being
> displayed above the garbled russian text:
>
> This message was written in a character set other than your own. If it is
> not displayed correctly, try opening it in a new window.

So why don't you enable UTF-8 support?

> Opening it in a new window still leaves the text garbled.

Works fine here with different charsets as long as they are supported by the
browser.

> > > My interface is in English (I can switch the interface itself to
> Russian
> > > and
> > > everything displays fine in the interface - the message does not)/
> >
> > Of course. How should this work with two different charsets?
>

> Well, it works for Japanese emails when my interface is in English.  Why

In the popup or inline in the message view? In the latter case you already
enabled UTF-8 support for Horde.

> > > Where should I enable UTF-8 support?  The locale on my system are:
> >
> > In config/nls.php. If you enable it and have multibyte extensions
> compiled
> > into PHP, both the interface and the message get converted to UTF-8 and
> can
> > be displayed at the same time.
>
> Also, Russian is not multibyte, so I don't think this would apply.

This has nothing to to with the extensions. We use them to convert between
different charsets.

> I think the problem is coming from the fact that IMP isn't picking up the
> correct charset.  The Japanese message has headers:

> Also, just like the russian page, the source shows:

> break
> anything.

This has again nothing to do with the problem. The lang attribute only
specifies the language and is completely unrelated to charsets.

> in nls.php, my defaults are:
>
> /* The langauge to fall back on if we cannot determine one any other
>    way (user choice, preferences, HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE). */
> $nls['defaults']['language'] = 'en_US';
>
> /* The charset to fall back on if we cannot determine one any other
>    way (chosen language, HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSETS). */
> $nls['defaults']['charset'] = 'ISO-8859-1';

Again: If UTF-8 works and you even have the mbstring extension available (as
you said in an earlier post), why don't you just use it?

Jan.